About Bailey’s Prairie
Bailey’s Prairie is named for James Britton Bailey who settled here with his family in 1818. When Stephen F. Austin arrived with his land grants from Mexico and 300 families, Brit Bailey would not surrender his land and eventually received a league of land on the east bank of the Brazos River. Although his grave site is not marked, his life in commemorated on a historic marker at the Munson Cemetery on SH 35 in Bailey’s Prairie.
Established as a municipality in 1967, Bailey’s Prairie encompasses 8 sq miles and had 797 residents in the 2010 census.