Prior to 1900, under the guidance of Rev. Burrell, a group of followers met in the Snipe community and formed a church, hence the name Burrell Chapel. Land was donated by Mr. David Jameson for the erection of a church building.
Early settlers were the families of Deacon Lemon “Boots” Franklin and Henry Darts. The church was the center for many activities–weddings, funerrals, meetings and school. Later Mr. George Munson gave land for a school building.
In 1946, the old church in Snipe was torn down and moved to its present location at Bailey’s Prairie. This church was built by Rev. Tim Stewart. At this time, deacons were Lemon “Boots” Franklin, Joe Williams, Dan Archibald, Will Hall, Will Franklin, Henry Darts, L. C. Hall and Anthony Davis. At a later date, Doc King joined the deacon staff.
The Homecoming Services were started by the Rev. P. S. Wilkerson in 1935. The church continued to grow. Other families joined including families of Bro. Doc King, L. C. Hall, Robert Eason and Anthony Davis.
Jerry Franklin was the first buried in the Snipe Cemetery.
Former pastors at Snipe include Reverends Burrell, Cummings, Faniel, Ben Hall, Joe Hall, Hawkins, Cushingberry and Cannon. The Reverends Cook, Eathe, and Callis pastored at the Bailey’s Prairie location.
The present pastor is Rev. Nathan Ross who united with the church June 25, 19890.